May 15, 2015

Axiom Verge

Date played: May 14th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I can't believe how much shit is hidden in Axiom Verge. There is stuff fucking everywhere! And it's not useless junk either, I backtracked all the way to the beginning of the game and made my way through all the areas I had already visited to find new secrets. I found health, weapon power, range and projectile size upgrades. I also found a bunch of new weapons!

There's a weapon that has bullets that bounce on the walls, Another has a short spread shot, sort of like in Contra. Then there is the incredible gun that shoots out a super wide arc of electricity at long range. It's inaccurate, but it's spread and range is like no other gun. I am not really using the default weapon anymore, as I've found a good replacement for rapid fire, straight shots but that also shoots through enemies. Finally, the big bad ass of all guns is the Tether Charge, a giant, leashed ball of electricity that hits real fucking hard. It has short range, but has still been extremely useful so far.

I picked up a new upgrade for my remote drone. It allows me to launch it very high in the air, granting access to new areas. There were even some large sections that had to be completed using only the drone.

These robot ladies are pretty cool
During my backtracking, I visited the robotic females that have been helping me, including a new one that says she "dreams new worlds". The drones repaired her enough for her to talk to me and give me a secret password. There's a whole password system in the game, and my first password translated one of the languages found in notes. I was pretty surprised to see a system like this in the game, and I can tell there is a lot more to discover in Axiom Verge. I am heading to a new area next, so that should be cool.