May 10, 2015

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Date played: May 9th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Luigi's Mansion! I fully explored the Treacherous Mansion and discovered many interesting, themed exhibits such as the navigation, space, jungle and ice age exhibits. I had to save two Toads that were trapped inside the mansion. There were some really clever puzzles where I had to carry items across different rooms using some portals. I transported water buckets and fiery logs to solve puzzles and reach the Toads.

Once they were safe, I discovered that King Boo was behind all the shenanigans throughout the game. I also discovered that Mario had been kidnapped and turned into a painting! Of course, Luigi set out to save his brother and take down King Boo. There was a mini-boss fight against a whole set of boos who combined into a giant ghost. I had to stun it, then aim it towards the front of a train. The boos would then disperse and I could capture them by shooting them towards cages on the train's wagons. It was a pretty cool fight, but aiming the boos was difficult.

The next level was a huge, final battle against regular ghosts. King Boo activated a giant, evil portal and let out a shitload of ghosts into the mansion, threatening the balance of the universe... Ridiculous, yes, but also lots of fun. This was easily the most challenging battle in the game. After I chased down the ghosts inside the mansion, I had to fight a huge series of enemies at the portal. I fought against all the different ghosts I had seen in the game until they stopped coming out. The battle culminated in a huge battle against the last of the possessor ghosts. He possessed some armored knights and I literally had to pull the rug under their feet to defeat them. In an epic scene, the ghost possessed a giant knight, but I also defeated him easily by pulling on some rugs with the vacuum.

King Boo is an asshole
The final level was a giant, lengthy battle against King Boo. I had to avoid his attacks, then point my flashlight at him at the right time to line him up with some spiked spheres that were falling from the sky. After I damaged him enough, he chased me inside some long corridors as I dodged a multitude of obstacles. After repeating this process a few times, I defeated King Boo, restored the dark moon, saved Mario and turned all the ghosts back into friendly, Casper-like spectral buddies.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was kind of predictable, relatively easy and pretty simple overall, but I still enjoyed playing it quite a bit. It's no masterpiece, but it's a quality game. Plus, Luigi is funny as fuck!