November 1, 2014

Xbox One special!

Date played: October 31st and November 1st
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I now own all three current generation consoles! I just couldn't resist Sunset Overdrive and that beautiful white Xbox One console. I spent a lot of time just messing around with the interface and downloading apps and games. Aside from the store, which is a big fucking mess, the interface is really good on Xbox One... The snapping function is awesome, letting me use and app at the same time as playing a game. Basic navigation is great too, easier than on PS4.

Welcome to my living room, Xbox One
The single best feature on this thing is the ability to instantly resume a game after turning on the console. It's very similar to the way Android and iOS manage apps and games.

I managed to play a few things, though I didn't have time to dig deep into anything yet. I played the intro to Sunset Overdrive, the free version of Killer Instinct, the free with Gold Volgarr the Viking and the demo for Zoo Tycoon.

Killer Instinct offers Spinal, the pirate skeleton warrior, as the only playable character in the free version. I played two quick rounds against AI, but didn't really get a good grasp of the game yet. I loved Killer Instinct Gold on N64, but I don't remember how this series works. I will say that it looks amazing and seems very well made.

Volgarr the Viking is a 2D retro action game. Volgarr is a brutal game. It's violent and difficult. It's also very fun to play and seems very promising.

Zoo Tycoon just blew my mind... That thing is so much cooler than I could ever expect. In fact, I liked the demo so much, I'll be keeping it in the back of my mind next time I'm looking for a new game. The objective is to build a good, profitable zoo. What surprised me is the quality of the graphics and the ways you can interact with the animals and guests. It offers a normal, tycoon type view of the park, but also allows you to control an employee in third person to feed, wash and play with the animals. It's deep too, there are tons of things to research, animals to adopt and even breeding. Shit, there's even a little elephant shaped golf cart that can be used to drive around the park. I really liked what I played.

Finally, the game that convinced me to buy yet another console, Sunset Overdrive. While I only played the introduction, I was absolutely amazed at every turn. The third person shooter is oozing with personality and style! It is VERY colorful and full of energy. The main character can be customized, so I made a very large man with a red faux hawk and some side burns.

After drinking the latest energy drink, the citizens of the city turn into monsters and our hero tumbles through the crowd of enemies. I went back to his house and barricaded myself in. Eventually, the monsters still came in. A gun toting old guy saved my ass at the last minute and started showing me the best ways to kill the creatures.

The game has a huge focus on moving around while fighting. A lot of it is done by grinding on the environment, Tony Hawk style. It's hard to describe, but everything about this game feels fucking great. It controls very well and is just so much fun to look at! It's also pretty damn funny, both with it's dialogue and it's weapons. One of my first weapons is a vinyl record launcher... I'm super excited to see what else Sunset Overdrive has to offer.