November 29, 2014

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Date played: November 29th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Shadow of Mordor!

I only had a few story missions left to complete. I first helped Lady Marwen's daughter find an elixir that is supposed to help her mother heal. I infiltrated an orc fortress and took out many enemies to clear the way for her and her troops.

Soon after that, she started raiding orc fortresses around the world, but was captured. I had to sneak in and save her from execution, ordered by the Tower himself. In a cool twist, I had to carry the lady out of the fortress, stopping to kill dozens of orcs along the way.

Talion confronts the Tower
I then attacked the Tower directly. I gathered my branded Warchiefs, got on a boat and found his castle. I faced off against my rival, a captain with strong ranged attacks. He was teamed up with a large army, so slaughtered every single one of them. When I found the tower, it turns out I had to stealth brand him a few times by running around the castle. It was a bit disappointing, I wish I could have fought him head on. Eventually, I got to kill him, but discovered that my ghost friend wasn't such a good guy after all. He had taken the ring of power for himself before being killed by the Black Hand.

Finally, I confronted the Black Hand directly. It was just a big quick time event, but it was satisfying to see him finally die. I really loved this game. The combination of the Assassin's Creed format combined with the Batman combat was already great, but the dynamics of Sauron's army was the best part of the game.