November 2, 2014

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: November 2nd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

Wow... this game is insane!

I played a bit more of Sunset Overdrive but didn't really make much progress. I played a couple of story missions as well as a few challenges. The first story mission had me protect some vats around our hideout from the O.D., the energy drink mutants. The mobility in this game is just great and makes any encounter a really fun thing to do. I held off the waves of O.D., including a very large one, and got my first amps.

Amps are special, passive abilities that activate when I have enough style points. Style is earned by moving around different surfaces in the environment, like walls, rails, cars and dozens of other cool things. This pushes the player to mix it up and rewards movement with cool moves like a flaming melee attack or explosive bounces.

The second mission had me protect the old dude as he tried to activate a sort of helicopter, but we failed miserably and it burned up in the street. I completed a side mission where I had to find vat parts around the city to upgrade the base. I also played a bunch of challenges. There were 3 types so far, platforming, points and Fizz Co gear destruction. These were cool distractions that rewarded money, so I completed most of them. The money will be useful for new weapons...