November 30, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: November 30th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Link's Awakening!

When I reached the giant egg, I played the song of awakening with my ocarina. It revealed a path to enter the egg. When I got in though, it was clear that I needed more advice to continue. As soon as I entered and dropped to the lower levels of the egg, I was faced with a mysterious forest type of dungeon where a very specific path is needed to progress.

After fucking around for a bit, I decided to get out of there and get some advice from the always helpful dude on the phone. He directed me to the library where I was able to read one of the mysterious books with the aid of the magnifying glass. It gave me directions that had to be followed inside the egg. When I did, I was confronted with the last boss!

The final battle was a gauntlet against 5 different forms of a dark enemy. The first one was the most challenging to me. The black blob could only be damaged with the magic powder. That stupid powder was so useless throughout the game that I never thought it would be the solution. It's only after trying every other possible solution that I resorted to trying the powder. After 3 hits, the second form appeared.

The second form was a classic Zelda battle. In fact, this may have been the first time this type of battle has appeared in the series. I had to reflect dangerous projectiles back to the bad guy using my sword. The third form was a large worm that was easily defeated by using my shield at all times and striking at it's tail when possible.

The fourth was a large demonic that shot out magical bats and threw it's giant double sided axe at me as if it was a boomerang. Using the pegasus boots and the sword, I simply had to charge at him when there was an opening. The final form was weak and easy to defeat, using the magic rod. I killed it real fast so I'm not even sure if it has any attacks at all.

Once defeated, I was able to wake the Wind Fish and as I suspected, the whole game was a big dream. At the very end, there was some awesome animation showing the beautiful Wind Fish and Link floating in the ocean on a log. I'm really glad I played this game, it was a lot better than I expected.