November 28, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: November 27th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through the 8th and final dungeon, though I'm not quite done with this game yet. Turtle Rock was easily one of the best dungeons in the game, maybe even the best. With it's ominous red color scheme, it's flying demons and tons of lava pits, it was a scary place.

Some of my favorite elements in the dungeon include the return of many mini-bosses, an odd platform that can create paths on lava using the d-pad and the magic rod. The mini-bosses were spread throughout the dungeon, guarding doors. All of them were much easier than ever before due to Link's improved weaponry, my trusty boomerang in particular. There was a new mini-boss too, a boxing dude. This guy had a big windup punch that threw me back to the dungeon's entrance...twice. I dispatched him by using some charged sword attacks.

Link awakens the turtle guarding the entrance to Turtle Rock
The platform that can be used to makes paths on lava had some interesting puzzles too since it disappears once it hits a wall. Some puzzles required me to fill all lava tiles with a path, which actually required some thinking on my part.

Finally, the magic rod is the new item that spits out fire as a projectile. While it's not that great in combat, it was useful for lighting torches that are out of reach. There was also a couple of cool 2D puzzles where I had to figure out the best ice blocks to melt to make a path. I then confronted the dungeon's boss, a large fire creature that jumped in and out of lava while Link was stuck on a small ledge. I used my new fire rod to take him out from a distance. He hits pretty hard, but if I got the angle just right, I was able to spam him with fire attacks.

I got my heart piece, my instrument and am ready to go to the egg for the final portion of the game!