November 10, 2014

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Date played: November 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

More orc murder!

I completed many side missions in Shadow of Mordor. These are focused on either stealth, archery or combat. They each have very specific objectives, offering lots of variety. I've upgraded my weapons quite a bit as most of them now have 5 rune slots for additional skills. I've won many new runes from combat with captains. This includes some stuff that heals me during combat if I meet it's criteria, which has been very useful. I've got a few new skills too. My favorite of the bunch is a sort of dodge-stun. I now stun enemies by jumping over them, then use frenzies to slice them up.

Gollum and Talion hide from orcs
I played a story mission where I had to follow Gollum around. He led me to a dark area where I found a little crown. This used to belong to my elf-ghost buddy. It triggered some memories for him and unlocked a new move, a sort of ground pound stun. There was a new enemy type to battle in this mission too. Ghuls are weird, zombie like creatures that swarm me in large numbers. Thankfully, they are relatively weak. They are vulnerable to the new ground pound move too. Honestly, I always fucking hate enemies like this in video games. I'd rather fight really tough single enemies than swarms of weak ones...