November 12, 2014

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Date played: November 11th and 12th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

Halo 2 is one of my favorite online multiplayer games of all time. It ushered in a new era of online gaming for consoles because of it's matchmaking systems, voice chat integration and cool game modes.

10 years later, the Master Chief Collection is the Halo fan's dream package. All 4 mainline Halo games in HD along with all the multiplayer maps are included in the game. Halo 1 and 2 both have had the anniversary treatment, which means completely redone graphics, remixed music and an amazing feature that lets you swap between the old version of the game and the new one on the fly.

I played the first mission of the first game and the graphical differences are incredible. The game feels like 2001 though. I don't know what it is, but it feels old, even if it looks new. It's still a good game and I definitely want to play through it again. In fact, I hope to play through all 4 games before Halo 5 comes out, which should give me plenty of time. I've played the first 3 games, but I never got around to playing Halo 4. I'm really excited to see it!

I messed around quickly in the multiplayer and right away, I was brought back to my early twenties. I was the victim of flashbacks of Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson at the Superbowl...

Anyway, Halo 2 multiplayer feels as good as it ever did, but looks much much better. I had a few problems with the controls since Halo has always had a different control scheme than Call of Duty, but I quickly got used to it and got a few kills. The battle rifle is still great to use, as is the plasma pistol. I can't wait to dig deeper into this beautiful collection.