November 1, 2014

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Date played: November 1st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I received Shadow of Mordor as a gift for my birthday!

Right away, it was clear that it's similar to Assassin's Creed, but with Batman combat. The story is really confusing so far, but I don't think it will be the main draw of the game. The main character, Talion, has witnessed the slaying of his family by the forces of Sauron. The bad guys then killed Talion, but he didn't quite die.

It's weird, I think he's kind of a ghost or something. He has a new ghost friend too. Both of them are confused as fuck and don't know why they still exist. This means that dying is built into the story. If I die, it doesn't reload to the last checkpoint, it just continues. After some quick tutorials, I was thrown into the world.

Just like Assassin's Creed, there are towers to reach to reveal the map, many side missions and many collectibles. Combat is great too. Just like Batman, combos, stuns and counters play a big role. Talion has a sword for close combat, a dagger for stealth kills and a bow.

Every game should have a photo mode...
The best feature of the game so far has been Sauron's Army. Basically, there are many enemies around the world that are named and have specific strengths and weaknesses as well as their own goons. They level up from combat too... If they defeat me or I run away, they gain a level... They all have specific personalities and appearance. The battles against them so far have all been epic and exciting.

I collected a few collectibles, upgraded some abilities and gear and played two story missions. The first was just about killing a bad guy, but the second had me tracking Gollum! I cornered him and got some information on some relic or something. The story isn't keeping my attention, but the combat and world have been really interesting.