November 8, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: November 8th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I made solid progress in Link's Awakening today. I completed the item exchange quest by finding a mermaid statue and putting the last scale in it. In exchange, I received a magnifying glass, which reveals some secrets that were not visible before. I explored a little bit again, hoping to see something new with my item. I was happy to stumble upon a dude in a cave near the beach. He offered to give me a boomerang in exchange for one of my items. I'm not quite sure which items were eligible, but I gladly gave him my shovel. That thing wasn't very useful...

The boomerang is a fucking beast of an item! It is very high damage, has good range and of course, it comes back to Link. I then made my way to the sixth dungeon by exploring a shrine. This shrine had me use the bow a lot to get through it's enemies. There was a nice mini-boss, a large warrior, but I simply had to stuff him full of arrows. I discovered a painting that seemed to imply that the whole island was a dream and that if the Wind Fish woke up, the whole island would disappear forever... Scary!
Link discovers an ominous painting

The dungeon itself was pretty cool. I had to use a large combination of items along the way, but the bow and bombs were used most often. After lots of exploration and a mini boss, I scored a new item, a level 2 power bracelet. It lets me lift heavier objects, which I ended up doing a lot to reach the last boss. This boss was disappointing... He was a simply a face on the floor that threw floor tiles at me. Shield up, I defended against the tiles, then just dropped bombs on the boss until he died. Very boring...

After getting my heart piece and musical instrument, I made my way to the 7th dungeon. To get there, I had to find the corpse of a flying chicken below a statue in the village. To resurrect him, I played one of the magical songs on my ocarina. He followed me around for a while. When I picked him up, it allowed me to fly at low altitude. This made it possible for me to reach the next dungeon in the mountains. The tower dungeon awaits!