November 9, 2014

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Date played: November 8th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finally got a chance to play this game for a good amount of time and made lots of progress. Most of my time was spent playing some of the side missions. I liberated a ton of slaves, shot dozens of orcs in the head with the bow, stealth killed unsuspecting orcs and stabbed hundreds of them to death. One of these missions threw me in a pit filled with orcs where I had to kill 50 of them. I even managed a huge 150+ combo along the way!

I also fought many orc captains, including some that were in the middle of power struggles. These are events where two captains are fighting each other to climb the ranks of Sauron's army. I basically let them fight each other for a bit then attack and kill the strongest one. One of the captains I fought was vulnerable only to explosions and stealth attacks, limiting my options for killing him. I waited until he was close to a bonfire and made that explode. I finished him off with an arrow in the head from the shadows.

DIE!
Then, I played a story mission where I helped another man rescue his wife from a large orc stronghold. To do this, I first had to collect some herbs to brew a poison. I then sneaked around the stronghold and put a bit of poison in their grog barrels. This led to a few orcs dying from it. Orcs being orcs, they started fighting each other suspecting mutiny. I eventually found his wife and got the hell out of there.

My character is getting a lot stronger too. I can now throw daggers in combat, can pin orcs to the ground with arrows and am deal more damage for skillful combat. I also have a bunch of weapon runes that change how combat works. For example, I have a chance of being healed a bit with high combos. It's a really cool system...