November 12, 2014

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Date played: November 11th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I'm back in the saddle baby!

Every year, Call of Duty becomes an important part of my gaming habits. Like clockwork, it's amazing multiplayer pulls me in and keeps my attention for months. Ghosts was good, but it did almost nothing that was unique or new. Advanced Warfare changes a lot of things, mostly changing how players move around the maps.

I started with a few missions in the campaign. The game is set in the future where military hardware is much more advanced than today. The game is littered with high tech stuff, like threat detectors, smart grenades, amazing HUD's, walking tanks, drone swarms and much much more.

The first mission follows a pair of best friends in the marines. They are assigned to a mission in South Korea. Standard Call of Duty gameplay follows, mixed with the amazing new future equipment. It all turns to shit. Mitchell, my character, sees his best friend die in an explosion, then loses an arm to shrapnel before being evacuated by his squad.

This is where the game really starts. The next mission starts at my friend's funeral where I was prompted to "Press square to pay respects"... It was kind of weird. Anyway, that's where I met my friend's dad, Mr. Irons. He is the CEO of Atlas Corporation, a large private military corporation with the best technology in the world. He recruits Mitchell who has been discharged from the army because of his amputated arm.
"Press square to pay respects"
Irons is played by Kevin Spacey. Advanced Warfare looks much better than any of it's predecessors graphically. There are tons of cool effects all over the place and the environment is prettier than ever. The biggest improvement is in the character models though. In game, they are extremely detailed and well animated, it's very cool. In the CG cut-scenes between missions, the level of fidelity is absolutely incredible. In fact, when Kevin Spacey does his thing, it sometimes looks like real life... I'm very much impressed.

I played a few more missions, including a long training mission that had lots of exposure to story elements. It was nice to have a mission without bombastic action for once. Another mission had me jump on top of moving cars using magnetic clamps. It was absolutely amazing and fun to play!

I played a little bit of multiplayer to get a feel for it and so far, I really like it. The double jump and other exosuit abilities really change the way the game plays. I made it to level 12 and already, I'm feeling really comfortable already and feel like I will be able to dominate once I find my setup. So far, I've got a nice, traditional LMG that I like a lot, we'll see how it goes.