November 29, 2014

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Date played: November 29th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I was pleasantly surprised with The Binding of Isaac, which I got for free with PS+. It's a rogue like, meaning that once you die, it's over for good. After some nasty religious visions, a mother tries to murder her young son, Isaac. He escapes to his basement through a trap door.

The bosses are awesome
The game is a sort of dual stick shooter, but Isaac can only shoot in 4 directions. He shoots out tears as his weapon against all sorts of bloody, demonic creatures. The 2D levels are completely randomized, so every run is entirely different. Isaac must gather keys, bombs, coins and various items to progress. Every level has an end boss, which are also randomized.

I was really surprised at how much I loved playing it. It's pretty rare that I enjoy rogue likes, in fact, I almost never do. But the quality of the combat and the fun, random upgrades make this game worth playing. A lot of the items are very cryptic, but typically have very powerful effects. I ended up playing at least 4 or 5 runs and managed to reach the final level once. I will definitely try this game again.