November 6, 2014

Steamworld Dig

Date played: November 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

Playstation Plus keeps delivering fun free games!

Steamworld Dig is a 2D game about mining... It's pretty unique in that sense, I've never played anything like that before. The little robot hero inherited a mining operation from his dead uncle. The town has 3 residents... A barmaid, a dude that sells upgrades and a lady who buys ore.

Tumbleton is a shithole
The hero digs through rock and must build tunnels to gather ore, find equipment and explore the mysteries of the mine. There are three meters, one for health, one for light and one for water. Health is used when battling insects and other nasty creatures. Light is required to see the types of rock and find ore. Water is used to do a high jump and to use a powerful drill.

I fucked up at first by digging myself into a hole that I couldn't climb out of and had to self-destruct. I dug smarter after that, building tunnels with multiple exits and that are easy to climb. As I got deeper and deeper, I had to use the teleporter to get out of the mine, sell my stuff and refill my light. Upgrades are pretty cool too, there's tons of stuff to buy to dig deeper and faster.

I like this game, but I don't really know if I want to play it again. I feel like I got the gist of it and there's no motivation to keep going really...but gathering ore is pretty fun.