November 23, 2014

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Date played: November 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through all the available side missions once again. There was a lot, many of which required me to be stealthy or to take out dozens and dozens of orcs. I also managed to complete all the survivalist challenges, where I had to find specific types of plants in the world.

I was surprised to see that a new skin was made available in the latest patch. It allowed me to play as Lady Marwen's daughter. It's a bit weird as the orcs still refer to her as "him", but it was pretty cool either way.

Torvin, the dwarf hunter, had some missions for me. We first started by hunting some caragors. I learned a new move that allows me to dodge them, then tame them, making it a lot easier to manage these guys in battle. The next mission had me hunting my first graug, the giant troll-like creatures that sometimes roam Mordor. It turns out, these creatures are weak at the heels. I made one bleed, which attracted caragors. I then rode a caragor to lure the graug towards Torvin's trap. The dwarf attached some chains to the beast, but it wasn't enough, so Talion was brave enough to mount the damn thing and tame it! I killed a bunch of orcs with it, then slayed my mount.

Ride that Graug!
The final portion of that quest had me hunt a legendary graug that killed Torvin's brother. This was an epic battle in a dark cavern, also infested by small ghuls. The graug would replenish it's health by eating them... I had to stay at a nice distance from the monster to get it to charge me, then I shot it in the head with arrows to stun him, which led to an opening for some stabbing. It was all pretty awesome!