October 19, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: October 18th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through two dungeons, Angler's Tunnel and Catfish's Maw. It was relatively straight forward, but I got lost more than once. A lot of this level is blocked off by large patches of deep water. I fought enemies and explored until I was confronted by a big red ball creature in shallow water. It kill it, I had to sprint around a central obstacle to reach the back of the creature. This rewarded Link with the flippers! These things allow him to swim and dive in water. I had a bit of trouble figuring out a puzzle where I had to stand on tiles in a specific order to progress. The problem is that the first room that requires this is really explicit by making the correct tile glitter, while the second room does not make them glitter. I incorrectly assumed that I wasn't due to complete the second room yet when I didn't see the glitter...I finally figured it out and fought the boss, the Angler fish. Set in a 2D underwater area, I simply had to hit the large fish near his head a few times to finish him. It was the easiest boss fight yet...

After getting my musical instrument, I decided to explore a bit with my new flippers. I found a new song for the ocarina, a useful warp to a pond in the Northern part of the map. I continued the trading sequence too. I brought the flower to the goat in the animal village. She gave me a letter that I delivered to the dude that likes letters (!), who gave me a broom. I didn't know who wanted a broom, but I started by talking to everyone in town and found out that the old lady there wanted it! She gave me a fishing hook, When exploring with the flippers, I had found a fisherman hidden below a bridge near Catfish's Maw. He took the hook and gave me a necklace. The nearby mermaid was happy to receive it and gave me one of her scales in exchange. I had no clue what to do with the scale, but a friend of mine reminded me that there is a mermaid statue that could use it, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Somewhere along the way, a ghost started following me. He hinted that I should bring him back to his old house. I figured that might be the house near the beach that had been abandoned. When I got there, he seemed happy and wanted to go see his grave. I brought him to the cemetery and found his tombstone. He left me and rewarded me by putting a seashell under a pot in the house... I also bought the bow from the store, but haven't really found it useful yet.

This ghost is a cool guy
Equipped with my flippers, I headed to Catfish's Maw. The entrance was hidden in the middle of the lake. This was one of the more frustrating levels for me. The layout is kind of confusing because of the many 2D segments that lead to different parts of the map. The in-game map is really not detailed enough to navigate well... Anyway, this dungeon had a cool premise. I had to fight Master Stalfos, a large skeleton warrior, 4 times. Each of the 4 rooms has to be entered in the correct order, labelled by the number of stones in the room. I was a nice exploration challenge. I had to use bombs to make him fall each time.

While I had all the keys and stuff I needed to reach the end of the level, I was missing the Nightmare key to enter the boss's room. I had a really hard time finding it and went around the dungeon many times before I found it. Along the way, I scored the best item in the game yet, the hookshot. This is not just a regular hookshot, it's screen wide weapon of destruction AND a way to glide over large chasms. I also fought the Ghoma twins, two armored spiders. The final boss was a weird creature that attacked with it's tail while hiding it's head in 4 caves around the screen. I had to pull at his head with the hookshot and hit his weak body.

After the dungeon, I went to find the third and final song for the ocarina. I had to navigate a 4 screen sign post maze. Basically, I had to read the sign posts in the correct order by following the clues written on them. I was rewarded with a meeting with Wart, the bad guy from Super Mario Bros 2. So weird. The song apparently makes things that were dead alive again, but I haven't found a use for it yet. I explored a little bit with the hookshot too and found an upgrade for my bomb capacity and a piece of heart. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of secrets though...