October 19, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 18th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Driveclub!

I started with two hyper car race events, including the Legend Trophy. These were actually pretty easy for me to complete with all stars. The Hennessey Venom GT has been a reliable ride for me. It's extreme speed and solid handling make it a no brainer.

Then, I took on the Venom Hot Lap.

I feel like this is the flagship event in the game. It is by far the hardest thing in the tour mode. Using the Venom GT on one of the best India tracks, After learning the track well, I posted a solid 1.16.395. Then it happened. I must have spent a little more than an hour just trying to beat that. That means I must have driven over 75 laps on that track. I would often beat my time in the second sector, but my first and last sector times were very good and difficult to beat.

I focused on getting that first sector down to about 22.2 seconds. When I was able to hit that, by the time I reached the third sector, I usually had a very slight lead on my ghost. However, I really nailed that sector the first time so I was always a little short at the finish line. In game, I managed to go from dusk until dawn...

With dedication, patience, a smoke break or two and a soft throttle finger, I fucking nailed it and cleared a time of 1.15.867! I know most who read this will not understand, but the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment I had at that moment was incredible! On the global leaderboards, that puts me a little above 1000th in the world. I feel like I could beat this time still but I'm happy with my time.
Celebrating 1.15.867!
I've got all 225 stars available in the Tour mode and have finished the game. All I can do now is race other players. Driveclub is a lot better than people give it credit for. Sure, the AI is kind of weird sometimes and there could be a better variety of cars, but I fucking loved every second that I was driving a car in this game. The sense of speed is amazing and the cars are tons of fun to drive.