October 11, 2014

Costume Quest

Date played: October 11th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Halloween is my favorite day of the year! Costumes, candy and scaring people is about as good as it gets. Video games are also awesome... so a Halloween video game is right up my alley!

Double Fine has some great writers
I figured this would be a good game to play with my daughter, so I picked up Costume Quest, an RPG about trick or treating. Two siblings set out to trick or treat on the 31st of October when the sister gets kidnapped by mysterious goblins! The little brother must save her by collecting candy and fighting goblins. I walked around the neighborhood, talked to some kids and found a partner to help me in my quest.

The little boy starts off in a robot costume and his friend has a knight costume. When they enter battle, the whole game changes to reflect how those kids see themselves in their costumes. I battle with a giant robot straight out of Japan and a knight with a big shield. It's a very simple game, but it's charming, funny and completely unique. I didn't play much, but I can't wait to see where this game goes.