October 14, 2014

Costume Quest

Date played: October 13th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through the shopping mall area and a good portion of the last area. In the mall, I entered a costume contest. To win, I had to guess the right costumes to use according to some hints from the judges.

Along the way, I gathered a few new costumes too. The first was a Space Warrior who wields a shining sword and can walk through dark areas that other costumes can't. He's not very good in battle though. I completed tons of little quests in the mall until I was able to reactivate it's little train system. Once that was back online, I confronted the goblin dudes as they were searching for more candy in the mall. I also added a 3rd party member to my group, a nerdy little girl.

I bought some better gear, gained some exp and took on the boss. He was a little goblin equipped with a bulldozer. Now that I have three people to fight with, everything is a LOT easier to manage. I typically stick to the statue of Liberty for support and the robot for strong offense. The 3rd slot I use different costumes, but generally, another attacker works best. We beat the boss easily, but were captured by the evil witch lady.

We were put in cage in a rural area. We escaped by swinging our candy pails at the cage, obviously. We lost our costumes though. We had to get them back from some menacing crow creatures. To do that, I embarked on the most ridiculous, yet satisfying quest of all.

Step 1: Get French Fry costume from road side fast food stand.
Step 2: Lure hungry kids to stand by activating the "French Fry Smell" ability.
Step 3: Get tickets to nearby carnival.
Step 4: Lure crows to barn with the "French Fry Smell" ability.
Step 5: Lock them in the barn.
Step 6: Get our costumes from chest that was guarded by the crows.
Step 7: Enter carnival.
This is my favorite costume combination
This game is full of stupid shit like this, and I love it. The French Fry costume actually ended up being one of my favorites to use in battle because it's special ability stuns all enemies for a turn. that's incredibly useful. I also got Ninja, cat, pumpkin and vampire costumes, but none seem to really fit how I play. I'm nearing the end of the game now and think I've reached the final goblin area, a large hedge maze.