October 10, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a few Driveclub events. The races have all been relatively easy so far. My years of video game racing have been productive it seems. I'm blazing past AI cars by simply being aggressive and pushing the car to it's limits. I'm also not afraid to play bumper cars a bit, even if it costs me a bit of fame. The bonus objectives are always fun to complete too. I tried out the Aston Martin V12 Zagato and I like it a lot. It's sexy, fast and handles well. However, I ended up using the Ferrari California when I could, it just felt good, even if it's kind of heavy. Ferrari has some weird interior design though, there's gauges and meters everywhere!

I actually spent most of my time completing time trial events. Some of the targets for achieving all three stars are really fucking tight. One track in particular was a real bitch. Maybe I should have tried a different car, but the California had served me well so far, so I stuck with it. The ghost system in the game works well for time trials. the ghost car never obstructs my view and gives enough information to let me find areas of opportunity.

The Aston Martin V12 Zagato is a beautiful car
My best time for a while was about 1.5 seconds slower than the top target. I tried again and again to beat it but I usually fucked up at least once in every attempt. This meant I was beating my original time by quite a bit, but screwed up on one turn and  lost all gained time. Eventually, I nailed a very good lap by being very aggressive, yet careful in the more demanding turns. I obliterated my time by 6 seconds!

The last few racing games I've played that had time trials also had a rewind feature. I understand why that feature exists, it makes the games a lot less frustrating for players. At the same time, I enjoy a game that forces me to deal with my mistakes. It just makes me a better racer at the end of the day. I can't wait to see how my times compare to other people once the servers are online. Oh yeah, the online servers are still fucking down. What the fuck?!? Really?