October 9, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 8th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

The servers are still broken...

I settled for more of the single player Tour events. There are drift events now and honestly, they kind of suck. It's more like a little puzzle, similar to what was in Grid 2. The problem is that the cars don't seem like they are really made to drift. It took a bit of trial and error, but I managed three stars on all of the ones I played. It became a lot easier to drift from the chase camera though. It's the only time I go out of cockpit view.

I'm starting to drive faster cars too. I've been loving the Lotus Evora. It's small, nimble and has good acceleration. It also has a bit of a tendency to drift. It's hard to describe, but it has some sway in the corners. This allows for more aggressive cornering, but also makes the turns more challenging. It's easy to compensate after the fact though, so it works well.
This Lotus is a joy to drive
I went back to an event I had trouble completing on the first day. It required a fast lap time in Norway and the Audi I was using just couldn't cut it. Surprisingly, I was successful only when I chose the slower, but better handling Mini Cooper.

I ended up completed the second set of events to win the Amateur cup. Aside from the joys of driving the cars, I've really enjoyed the small details of Driveclub. The best of which has been the weather and day-night cycle. In one event, the race starts off with the sun hidden behind clouds and everything is dark and overcast. A few laps in, the sun gradually reveals itself, entirely changing the look of the track. The incredible lighting from the cockpit view makes it that much more interesting too. At night, the entire dashboard lights up realistically, headlights from chasing racers reflect on the interior of the car and the track looks completely different. If only they could get their fucking servers back online...