October 12, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 11th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I made some progress in the Tour mode and completed the Semi-Pro events, winning all available stars. The difficulty is really starting to ramp up. I can still win consistently in races, though I've placed 2nd and 3rd in a few of them. The difficulty is really coming from some of the time trials and drift events.

This Ferrari 430 Scuderia is fun to drive
Drift requires that I learn the car and track well to get the top score. It also takes some practice as the drift mechanics are really weird. I don't like these events much. Time trials are similar, except I find them extremely fun! Maybe it's just my personality, but I fucking love shaving off a few tenths of a second on a run. Again, I've managed three stars in all of them, but sometimes required that I spend a good amount of time just trying and trying. It's incredibly satisfying to finally nail it...

The online servers have been showing signs of life! I was able to join a club by GameFAQs folks and gain Fame for them, but I haven't been able to use other online features. No online racing, no leaderboards, no challenges, no faceoffs, nothing. Hopefully, things get better soon. I still have a good amount of events in Tour mode to play, but pretty soon, I will have to stop playing this game if I can't race against real people.

I got a chance to try some much faster cars too. Both the RUF CTR3 and the Pagani Huayra are insane cars and are difficult to drive, but still manageable. The RUF is hard to keep straight on small circuits, but worked very well on a faster point-to-point track. The Pagani is a lot easier to handle and worked well on the smaller circuits. These cars have absolutely crazy interiors too... The only thing that pissed me off is that the RUF has no rear view mirror!