October 8, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 7th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Finally, I get to play a new racing game on my PS4!

It's been frustrating for me as a racing fan. Xbox One got Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2, but PS4 had nothing. I played Need for Speed Rivals, but it just wasn't a great game. Driveclub is the first real racing game of the generation for me.

The first thing that impressed me is the incredible attention to detail in this game. The cars are exceptionally well modeled, including a near perfect recreation of the interior. The cockpit view is wonderful to use because of it. The lighting system in this game is completely insane too... It's really incredible to be rushing through twisting tracks in India, Canada, Chile, Norway and Scotland.

Driveclub is a simple game. Pick a car and event and race as fast as you can around a circuit or point to point track. There is no tuning, no open world, no fancy abilities, no rewind or racing line. It's a pure racing game. Some people will be turned off by that, but I fucking love a good race and Driveclub delivers on that.

Unfortunately, the servers are having major issues, so I couldn't connect to the internet and play against real people. I was stuck with the single player events. Right from the first race, it's clear that Evolution nailed the handling mechanics. The cars don't feel very difficult to drive, but they still require skill. It feels a lot like the defunct PGR series actually, a series I loved. It's hard to describe, but the handling feels just right. It's incredibly fun to just drive the car around the track.

Driveclub looks astounding!
The AI is kind of fucked up though. They rammed me a few times and even seem to rubber band a little bit. Thankfully, I don't expect to play against the AI for very long, assuming the servers are working next time I play.

I played through a good number of events, probably about 15. The game stars European cars only, so I've driven my fair share of Audi, Mercedes and Volkswagen cars. The events are interesting because of how they are scored. Every event has 2 or 3 "stars" to earn. These are tied to various accomplishments in the event. For example, one race may ask that I finish in the top 3, beat a lap time and reach a specific top speed. I completed the Rookie events and final event, and started the next set. Every race earns me Fame, which is basically exp. Actions such as drifting, drafting, overtaking and winning earns Fame.

Driveclub is taking a lot of heat from people on the internet right now, but if the servers come back online, I will be entirely satisfied. Driving a fast car through incredible environments is lots of fucking fun for me, I can't wait to play more of it!