October 16, 2014

Driveclub

Date played: October 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I can't believe it... I actually managed to play against real people!!!

After a full week of crazy online issues, Driveclub seems to be slowly coming back online. There's still stuff that doesn't work, mainly the challenges, but I've been able to race online, contribute to my club, complete face-offs from other players and view the leaderboards.

I started with a bit of online racing. I ended up in the Sports car class and picked the snappy Lotus Evora to take on the other players. We had 7 people in the race, and I won it hands down. Other players didn't seem to have the handling down, except for one other guy who was close most of the race. Others were ramming into each other and going too fast in the turns. In the second race I played, there were 12 people and I finished 2nd. I ended up in a Bentley Continental GT. It served me well enough, though one guy was a complete asshole who spun me out on purpose. I caught up to him and while he was absurdly trying to hit me, I passed him cleanly using simple, fast driving.

I went back to the Tour mode after that and completed 6 events. The hyper cars have been prominent and I've been having a really good time with the Hennessey Venom GT. This car is absolutely incredible. It's a fucking beast that is hard to tame though... My first few laps with it were a bit rough. It drifts a little too easily and can lose control quickly, but if kept under control, it is by far the fastest car I've had the pleasure to drive in this game.

246th worldwide rank, not too shabby
Since the beginning of the tour, I've really tried to get all three stars and have been successful so far. Some of the drift events have been a challenge, but the really tough ones were all time trials. I don't think Evolution meant for people to get three stars in every event because some of these are probably out of reach for many players. I spent a lot of time just practicing this night track in the Venom GT and eventually got the target time. I was happy to see I was ranked 246th in the world, not too bad!

I completed a drift event with the Pagani Huyara too. I think I've got the hang of these now, but it was the last drift event in the Tour mode. I only have 4 events left, including the final cup. One of the events is scary...they call it the Venom hot lap and the leaderboards show the top time being only 2 seconds short of the target, I'm sure it will be quite a challenge.