October 19, 2014

Costume Quest

Date played: October 19th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Costume Quest!

It was a great little RPG that held both my interest and my daughter's. The last area of the game was quite boring actually, but thankfully it wasn't very long. The Grubbins had weird behavior here... some of them actually wanted me to succeed in taking down the evil boss lady, so they offered to help me build a Grubbin costume to fool a guard. I fought my way through the maze, got the costume and moved past the barrier.

I used a teleporter to go back to the mall because I had missed a piece of the unicorn costume. I LOVE the unicorn! This thing is completely armored and looks really cool. It acts as a healer, but instead of targeting all units like the Statue of Liberty, it heals a single unit for lots of HP.

I fought the evil boss lady and won rather easily. She had a cool ability that allowed her to summon two weak clones. She also had a big charge attack, but I didn't give her a chance to use it. I simply had to stun her with one of my special abilities.

My brave unicorn battles against the last boss
After a bit of comedic drama, I fought the REAL last boss, a gigantic skeleton wizard that loves candy. This fight actually required a bit of strategy, enough that I died on my first attempt. He killed me with some of his strong attacks. Also, I was using the Fry costume and it's special ability was useless against him. On top of that, I had some useless badges equipped. I went back in with a fresh team. The robot with counter-attack, the knight with dodge and the unicorn with self-healing. It worked wonderfully and I kicked his ass. The kids went back home and ate their candy as if nothing ever happened! I also have the Grubbins on Ice expansion, a whole new chapter, but I haven't tried it yet.

Costume Quest is a simple game, but it's funny, has pretty cool mechanics and is incredibly cute. I'm happy I played it!