October 28, 2014

Puppeteer

Date played: October 28th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

The PS4 was busy installing it's fancy firmware 2.0 and I had nothing better to do except turn on my faithful PS3. I've had this Puppeteer game installed for ages, it had been free on PS Plus a while back. I gave it a go and was surprised at how cool it looks. In fact, it's available in stereoscopic 3D, so I put on my glasses and played the first level.
Puppeteer is pretty and charming...but a bit on the simple side so far.

The game is a 2D platformer starring a little puppet that gets his head eaten by the Bear Moon King. I am not making that up. Let that sink in a moment.

Bear Moon King!

Anyway, there's a few mechanics at play here. The little guy can pick up replacement heads that each have special functions when used in the appropriate area. My guy's head was a skeleton, a hamburger, a spider and a banana. There's also a weird cat thing that follows me around. I can control it with the right stick and use it to interact with certain elements of the decor. I reached a funny witch who challenged me to get a magic pair of scissors from the Bear Moon King, saying it could help me find my real head.

I went through a spiraled dungeon looking place, avoiding enemies and jumping over gaps in the floor. Eventually, I reached the end and picked up the magic scissors. These will surely play a central role in the game, but that's where I stopped playing. My daughter was captivated by the game. I played in French so that she could understand the narrator and she thoroughly enjoyed the little story.