July 19, 2016

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Date played: July 18th
Platform: 3DS

I played through the game's first dungeon yesterday, the Eastern Palace. Of course, this was a rather simple place, since it's the introduction to the game's dungeons, but it was still lots of fun. The worst enemies in there are the skeletons. They jump away from Link's sword slashes, so they have to be cornered to be defeated, or hit with the boomerang several times.
The Eastern Palace
There weren't really any puzzles here. The closest we got was finding the right pot to lift to find a button to open a door. Eventually, I got the dungeon's special item, the bow! This thing hits hard, and works well against the new enemies nested in the depths of the dungeon. It wasn't long before I found my way to the dungeon's boss, the Armos Knights. Six large, armored knights jump up and down and attack Link in different patterns. All I had to do was shoot them with my arrows while avoiding their attacks.

After the battle, I picked up my heart piece and went back to the old man to give him the pendant I collected. He rewarded me with the pegasus boots, which allow Link to sprint and charge into enemies and objects. I must now head to the desert to find the next dungeon and pendant. I explored quite a bit, trying to find a way in, but I've been met with dead ends everywhere. I seem to remember having to ram a bookshelf somewhere with the pegasus boots, but I don't remember where, so I'll have to keep looking.