July 2, 2016

Ratchet & Clank

Date played: July 1st
Platform: PS4

Clank got a lot of action when I played Ratchet & Clank yesterday! I solved a bunch of puzzles with him, moving little robots around, using their bridge, power supply and trampoline forms to find the way. I then fought some of the biggest battles in the game yet as Ratchet. All the toughest enemies were there, and in large numbers.

I took this as an opportunity to level up some of the weapons I had used less, like the sniper, the grenades and the buzz blades. I also picked up a new weapon, the glove of doom, which launches 4 little explosive robots that run to enemies and blow up. They are very powerful. I now have a good number of weapons at level 5, the maximum. What's cool is that there is always a little something that is different about the weapons at max level. For example, the flamethrower creates explosive embers with every kill.

Ratchet wasn't able to destroy the deplanetizer. In fact, he was caught and discovered that captain Quark was a traitor who was helping the enemy! Fucker! Ratchet was disappointed, and went back home. Clank convinced him to return to the Galactic Rangers and lead them to victory. We devised a plan to infiltrate the deplanetizer in a stealthy way instead of just barging in like last time. This meant we needed a disguise, so we headed to the Gagdetron headquarters to acquire one.

Gadgetron headquarters had many rail-riding segments
This planet was filled with grinding rails, and I spent a lot of time riding them to find the man who would give me the disguise. Again, lots of difficult battles here. The game threw everything it had at me, so I took out my best weapons and fought hard. I got a new weapon here again, the famous Sheepinator, which transforms enemies into sheep. It's really fun to use, but it's slow, so it's only useful in a certain circumstances.

When I found the man, he challenged me to a hoverboard race to win the disguise. The race was fun, but not too hard. Disguise in hand, Ratchet and Clank return to the deplanetizer. The disguise makes them look like Captain Quark, but cannot jump or fight while disguised. I had to use stealth to progress, waiting for enemy robots to turn their backs to progress. At times, the enemies could press alarm buttons that would instantly kill Ratchet, so when I needed to fight, I also needed to ensure they wouldn't reach the button. The Groovitron became a necessity for me in these situations, as it stops enemies in their tracks.

Ratchet & Clank is at it's best when the fighting is intense, the rockets and bullets are flying in every direction and the enemies blow up in a glorious pinata of bolts. I love it.