July 27, 2016

Inside

Date played: July 26th
Platform: PC

Inside just keeps getting creepier and creepier...

I first solved a cool puzzle where I had to raise and lower water levels, I was chased by more ravenous dogs. Using a nearby fence, I controlled their movement by moving over the fence at different intervals while pulling some planks from a wall to make an escape route. It was a pretty clever puzzle.

It wasn't long before I reached a pier of some sort. A masked man was waiting on the pier as small, spherical submarine approached. Another masked man came out of it and met the other. I ran to the submarine, got in and dived.
The boy in the submarine faces the water creature
This whole section of the game was fantastic, and my favorite so far. The submarine has a directional light and a sort of speed boost ability. I dove deep into the abyss, where I navigated around various mysterious structures. At various points, I had to get out of the sub to solve puzzles and even had to make the submarine jump over some obstacles by using it's boost power to propel it out of the water for a short time.

Things got real fucking scary when I noticed a silhouette moving quickly in the shadows. Soon enough, a little, naked, faceless person was chasing me! It's long hair flowing through the deep waters, the creature chased me endlessly. I was able to keep it at bay by pointing my light towards it, just like Boo from Super Mario. It killed me multiple times as I attempted to escape. Eventually, I figured out I had to trap the creepy little fucker behind a door to progress.

I found my way to dry land again, leaving my submarine on a beach. The next part was a huge puzzle where I had to gather 19 of the faceless people to open a door. When I jumped onto a mind control helmet, it broke off and let me move around freely while wearing it. Solving a bunch of little puzzles, I amassed a crew of mindless people doing my bidding. They could even lift the boy up in their arms and throw him to reach higher areas.

While all of this was very creepy, nothing beat how I had to get the 19th person. The boy grabbed a lifeless body, dragged it to the edge of a structure and let it fall down onto the platform that would open the door. What disturbed me the most is the way the child simply grabbed the body, without emotion, and threw it down like it was nothing more than a piece of garbage. It was a powerful moment, and it made me very uneasy.