July 12, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: July 11th
Platform: PS4

I had a good time with Overwatch last night. While I played quite a bit, I only had one match with my brother, so I mostly played with random people. I spent lots of time with Reinhardt and Mercy as usual, but also spent more than a few games playing as Symmetra.

I typically only play her on defense, though I'm starting to feel like I should try her on attack more often, or on King of the Hill maps. I'm improving with her. I'm placing my turrets in smarter spots and I'm getting into the melee more often with her amazingly strong, short ranged main weapon. Her teleporter is extremely powerful also, but very vulnerable. I'm getting better at finding good spots for it. The best areas are close to the objective, but not in paths used by flankers.
I'm getting better with Symmetra
The problem with Symmetra is that if the enemy teams starts moving quickly, she can't keep up. There's no time to setup a proper turret nest and her ranged attack is better at defending choke points rather than fight head on.

I was pretty damn good with Reinhardt too last night. I'm still blocking a lot for my team obviously, but I'm more aggressive than ever with the big German man. I love smashing into a Bastion in sentry mode with Reinhardt's charge move. I love using Earthshatter, followed by a fire strike, when shit gets heavy. I love taking out a sneaky Genji just as he starts his ultimate. I love blocking a McCree from getting a single kill when it's High Noon!

On a related note, it will be interesting to see what happens in the game in the coming weeks. There are many big changes... Torbjorn's turrets will deal 30% less damage on consoles. Zenyatta will get a bit more shield health. D.Va's bullet blocking ability will have a meter instead of a timer.

Last but not least, a new character is coming to the game for free, Ana. She is a support hero who can heal allies or damage enemies with a sniper rifle. She also has a tranquilizer gun that stuns enemies for a short time, a healing pack that can be dropped on the ground and an ultimate that boosts another hero's speed and damage for a short time. She will change the game a lot, and maybe people will pick her instead of Hanzo or Widowmaker. Time will tell, but I'm excited to try her.