July 2, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: July 1st
Platform: PS4

A major patch has just hit PS4 for Overwatch. McCree's pistol is significantly weaker than before, making him less effective against tanks, but still as effective against weaker targets. Widowmaker is also weaker, with her body shots doing less damage so that characters like Zenyatta can survive a bit more. Finally, the patch adds competitive mode to the game.

Competitive mode requires players to be level 25 or higher and has some slight rule changes in place. For example, if a player leaves the match, they are not replaced. Payload matches are now played in rounds, one for attacking and one for defending. The winner is determined by the distance they've carried the payload. For king of the hill matches, it's now a best of 5. As for capture points, I am not 100% sure how it works yet, but I think it counts how much time there was left on the timer when the points were captured.

It also requires 10 placement matches to receive a rank, so I played those last night. The skill level was definitely higher here, with people paying more attention to team composition, using voice chat a bit more and fighting like hell for victory.

In the end, I won 6 matches and lost 4, so that's not too bad. After the first few matches, I was put into a team where 4 of us were actively using voice chat. We ended up grouping up together and played the last 4 or 5 matches together. We made a pretty good team. I swapped between Reinhardt, Mercy and even a bit of Lucio. We won some, we lost some, but we always fought hard and communicated with each other.
I have a skill rating of 52. Not bad.
The ranking system is set up to give players a score between 1-100, higher being better. After my placement matches, I was ranked 52, which is reasonable enough. I'm interested to see what the matches look like once I start playing against similarly ranked opponents. It's kind of scary in a way, but also very motivating.