July 25, 2016

Inside

Date played: July 24th
Platform: PC

Limbo was one of the most unique, creepiest games of the last generation. I loved it so much, I played it twice since it's release. Inside is the second game from Limbo's creators Playdead, a small development team from Denmark.

Similar to Limbo, the game opens without text, sound or even a cut scene. I am in control of a young boy who looks like he's about 8 or 9 years old. I'm in a sort of forest, in the middle of the night, and my only option is to move to the right. The game has a very unique aesthetic, making sparse use of color. The animation is incredible, with a lot of attention to the smallest of details.

As for the game itself, well, it's a 2D puzzle platformer. Because of the lack of context, many of the puzzles are communicated via the environment. For example, at one point, I had to push a large safe off a ledge to have it fall on some wooden planks far below, which opened up a new path.

So far though, the greatest thing about Inside isn't it's good puzzles. The best thing about Inside is the creepy fucking setting and little bits of story. The child is obviously somewhere he shouldn't be. Masked guards armed with tranquilizer darts and other non-lethal weapons are on high alert, and will chase the boy if he is seen. They have dogs too, which I had to outrun more than once. The first signs of madness appear in the form of slaughtered pigs, some of which have been "possessed" by disgusting worms. There's just a lot of shit that is wrong in this world.
This scene was my favorite yet, as the boy blends in with the mindless humans

Later, I found some humans, but humans that seem devoid of personality and autonomous will. In fact, they are controlled by devices which are attached to someone's head... A few of the puzzles required that the boy attach his head to one of these devices and control nearby people to open a door, or activate a switch or something.

To make things worse, this game has some of the most disturbing deaths I've seen in a video game. While it's not gory like Mortal Kombat, or very violent like Far Cry Primal, it's just fucking disturbing. Seeing the boy have his neck broken by an attack dog or being electrocuted by a crude robot is terrifying. I can't wait to see more of this game, even if I'm scared of what I'll discover.