August 31, 2014

Hohokum

Date played: August 31st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I saved three snake friends by beating three levels of the game. I think I'm really close to the end now, but can't be quite sure. I learned from the Giant Bombcast that the creature I control is referred to as the Long Mover... This kind of says a lot about this game... Anyway.

My daughter fucking loves this game. She likes to look for eyes to open and has dozens of suggestions as to what I should do to unlock the secrets to beating each level. She has some damn good ideas sometimes too... The first level we beat had me gathering stardust to build constellations (???) to free my long mover friend.

The mere fact that this game exists is joyful
The next had us break dozens of clay pots made by a lone citizen. I actually had to do this three times before completing the level. Every time I broke all of the man's pots, he gave a sad sigh and went back to work. I had to exit the level and come back to see his new set of bigger, harder to break pots. But like any good bully, I went back in there and smashed everything with no regard for the poor potter's fragile emotions. In the end, we smashed a giant pot and freed our friend.

Finally, we played through a more elaborate level, a sort of factory I guess. There were many steps here... I first had to gather some creatures to ride the long mover. These guys had elephant-like trunks and vats on the backs to store liquid. Then I had to free bee-like creatures from various contraptions by crashing into them and such. These bees went to a large hive and picked up...spots. These spots were strewn around the level for me to gather with my little vat-men. I brought the liquid spots back to a large container. After a few trips, the container was full and I was able to swim through connecting pipes, which eventually led to the factory producing it's...products. I am not sure what they produce, but it looks like colorful shit in a box. Either way, this unlocked my long mover friend.