August 17, 2014

Road Not Taken

Date played: August 16th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 6/10

Road Not Taken is a weird little game I got for free from PS+. I only played the tutorial and the first level, but it was enough to pique my interest. The hero is a little hooded dude who must do some work in a village to make some cash and live. There is some mystery surrounding the town. Many villagers have gone missing when venturing in the woods.

I was tasked with saving some kids from the forest and getting them back to their parents. The game is played on a grid from an overhead view. The hero only has one ability so far, which is to pick up nearby objects and throw them. Some of the simpler puzzles required me to get two trees to touch each other by grabbing and throwing. The trick is that the hero can only throw objects in the same direction that he picked them up from, which makes for some pretty complex puzzles. Also, there is an energy meter that depletes with each step when burdened by a carried object. Now, I might be wrong, but I THINK that this is a roguelike and that death is permanent, but I don't intend to find out.

Road Not Taken is interesting, but I'll have to play more to see if I like it or not.