August 15, 2014

Micro Machines

Date played: August 15th
Platform: NES
Session fun rating: 10/10

FUCKING YEAH BABY!

Micro Machines is THE game that spawned my love of video game racing. It was a Christmas gift that me and my brothers received as young children. We played the fucking living shit out of this cartridge. Most of our time was spent in the 2 player head to head mode. Codemasters chose a very cool way to implement multiplayer without split screen. To win, a player must outpace the opponent by one "screen". Since the game uses an overhead view, it makes for some very frantic battles. It's amazing, 25 years later, I still remember the exact track layout, as did my brother. We raced like madmen around the sports car track, the dune buggy track and the tank track. I won 2 of the races and he won 1. Fuck yeah.