August 25, 2014

Titanfall

Date played: August 24th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finally tried out Titanfall! EA is offering a 48 hour trial of the full game so I downloaded it right away. I've always had an interest in the game... I mean, this is essentially Call of Duty with mechs...

I played the tutorial and about 5 or 6 matches against real players. The first thing that struck me is that the controls are extremely smooth and precise, something that is critical to FPS games. I'm playing with a controller and I feel like I'm not at a disadvantage. I've done well in most of the matches I've played, I even got first place in one of them!

The game moves fast and is really cool to play. The titans are particularly fun to play as they wield incredible weapons and are more mobile than you would expect. The only thing I don't really like so far is that there are a ton of non human characters in the field that act as cannon fodder. It helps your team to kill them, but it's kind of annoying. So far, I've been mostly using the normal automatic rifle, a heavy anti-titan rocket and some grenades. On the titan side, I prefer the model that is more defensive, the Ogre. It's mainly because I really like it's main weapon, a sort of single shot rifle. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm liking what I played quite a bit.