August 17, 2014

Hohokum

Date played: August 17th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

After a small struggle to get this game to run on PS4 due to an error message (resetting PSN licenses resolved the issue), I played a ton of Hohokum.

This new game is very difficult to describe. Basically, it's a 2D puzzle game. I think? The player is a one eyed snake (!) that must explore the world to find his other one eyed snake friends. Each level has it's own amazing graphical style, outstanding music and unique mechanics.
Hohokum is wonderful

I saved maybe 5 of my snake friends by exploring the beautiful levels and solving their mysteries. It's really hard to explain, but there's a big element of "play" in this game. There are a lot of things in the levels that are just there to fuck around with, as toys, rather than gameplay objectives. It's refreshing and incredibly fun. The puzzles have been pretty simple, but still require a bit of skill and some thinking.

The best level so far had me rebuilding a roller-coaster in a really cool amusement park. There were little people that rode on my snake. I would bring them places so they could do fun stuff like ride teeter totters and a giant wheel. The icing on the cake was the way they moved their cute little bodies to the sound of the incredible music throughout the level. I'm excited to see the other cool things Hohokum has to offer.