August 25, 2014

Tomb Raider

Date played: August 24th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I'm making good progress in Tomb Raider. I went back to previous areas to gather collectibles that I missed to gain more XP and salvage. After I got 100% everywhere, I explored some more to find the co-pilot from the plane who set a distress flare near the mountain village. I have a new tool to help me explore, the rope arrow. It can be used to pull certain objects and create improvised rope bridges in specific spots. It's very versatile and fun to use.

I found the co-pilot, but was quickly captured by some of the weird men living on the island. Much is revealed about their reasons for being so hostile through diaries and other collectibles. As far as I can tell, they are essentially muscle for some sort of cult. Either way, I found myself in a weird cell filled with human remains. In a disgusting sequence, Lara freed herself from her bonds and narrowly escaped through a hidden passage. There are some mysterious armored warriors around too, but I barely had a glimpse of them so far.
Lara Croft with her trusty shotgun
During her escape, Lara found herself tumbling through another waterfall, but this time, she was able to grab a parachute from a nearby plane wreckage and glided down the mountain into a large shanty town. This place feels straight out of Resident Evil 5... Wounded, she made her way to a helicopter where she hoped to find medical supplies. Instead, she found a lighter and sealed her wound with a red hot arrow. Of course, this now means I have fire arrows!

I explored the shanty town quite a bit and fought countless men. I'm enjoying the shotgun quite a bit... I found a friend from the ship stranded on top of a tower, so I am now making my way to him through a complicated series of levers, pulleys and other mechanical contraptions, all while fighting occasional soldiers.