August 30, 2014

Tomb Raider

Date played: August 29th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through another large portion of Tomb Raider. I can smell the ending!

Lara made her way down to the waterfront. To get there, she hopped onto a gondola system built to carry gear and supplies. Half way down, the thing jammed up and I had to find a way through. There were tons of old structures around, but they were filled with enemies. After fighting them all, I was able to slide down the cables to the beach.

The beach was one of the coolest areas in the game. It's grandiose view is incredibly beautiful. It was tons of fun to explore as well as it was one of the largest areas yet. After the regular exploring and collectible gathering, I met most of my crew trying to start a small boat. Alex, the crew's technician, went back to the Endurance, our wrecked ship, to gather some tools that will help us fix the boat.

When it became clear that he wasn't coming back on his own, Lara went out to find him. This meant another trek across perilous terrain. Before leaving, One of my buddies gave me a new, high tech bow he found. I explored a new area and eventually found a way to the Endurance. On it's deck, I was met with an enormous man clad in armor. It was one of the few "boss" fights in the game. Thankfully, he didn't have any guns, so I just dodged around and shot him in the face until he was weak enough. Then I stuck my ax in his skull and called it a day.

This area was incredibly fun
Inside the ship, I found my friend Alex, but he was stuck beneath some debris. I had to solve a small puzzle to reach him, but when I did, I wasn't able to free him. Enemies came and I just had to grab the tools and make a run for it. Alex died a hero... It's just really fucking stupid that the tools were nothing but a wrench and screwdriver...

I made my way back to the beach to bring the tools and announce Alex's death. During the trek, I upgraded my bow with a gadget that allows me to pull down stronger walls and go across rope bridges quickly. I also fully upgraded my assault rifle and pistol. I now have to make my way up to the cult's temple to put an end to their reign and get out of the island.