August 7, 2014

Proteus

Date played: August 6th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 5/10

I started and finished Proteus.

I.... I don't know what I just played. Proteus was free on PS+ for PS3 and Vita. I figured I would give the game a shot on Vita before bed. I knew it was short, but I didn't know it wasn't really a video game. It's honestly more of a virtual stroll or something.

The graphics are very... odd.
The game's terrain is generated randomly. I spawned in the water near the island's shore. This is played from the first person perspective. There are no additional controls...except you can press X to sit, which was not useful in any way. There is nothing to do except explore the island. There are interesting things moving around, like crude frogs, owls, bats and other wild life. There are musical cues depending on where and how you move. I completed it in less than an hour and I'm not quite sure what it was about. The biggest event in the game is that the sun goes down, then the moon comes up. After the night is over, you can go to a weird circle that moves the game forward to the next season. Spring and summer were full of life, fall was rainy and winter was dead as fuck. This was such a weird experience.