August 15, 2014

Star Tropics

Date played: August 14th
Platform: NES
Session fun rating: 8/10

My brother brought Star Tropics when he visited! This was one of the big games of my childhood. We played a lot of it as children, though we never got very far. We started the game, spoke to a few people, including the village pig. The pig shows us his anus when he's done talking! We entered the cave and completed the first dungeon.

This is really a classic. It feels like a weird Zelda game in a lot of ways. It controls well, has awesome music and cool dungeons. I fought some bats, snails and snakes with my yo-yo and fireballs. I also found secret passages all over the place. Finally, I fought the giant snake boss at the end which looks absolutely badass. The only problem is that my NES is kind of crappy. It takes a while to get a game running properly and it bugs out a lot. By the end of the dungeon, we had a ton of graphical glitches and had to stop playing.