August 29, 2014

NHL 15 demo

Date played: August 28th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

Wow! The last NHL game I played often was NHL 13, but I've been playing these games on and off since NHL '94. On PS3, these games were great, but the announcers and presentation had never changed much. It became so ridiculous that I could predict what the announcers would say after plays, including their tone, pitch and pace. This is the first time in years that they have new announcers and it feels incredible.

The whole presentation is revamped too with new cameras, score screens, etc. The demo has the Kings and the Rangers available, so I started with the Rangers at home but tried the Kings later on as well. The arenas looks spectacular and are filled with interesting and unique spectators. The graphics are definitely a big step up, mostly in the faces and the clothing. The shirts have real physics now and it shows. It makes everything look more natural.

Rangers win!
The game itself plays pretty much the same, but the collision physics and puck physics are much improved. In fact, I managed to score a few goals that would have never got in before due to the new physics. The collisions are more natural too and momentum plays a much bigger role. I like how it feels so far.

I played three games against the AI. I won the first game 4-2, lost the second 1-0 and the lost the last 2-1. A lot of it was just goofing around to get a feel for the new game, but I don't like playing against AI in the first place. I'm an online VS player really. Anyway, the game feels fair and handles well, I think I will buy it when it comes out.