August 18, 2014

Tomb Raider

Date played: August 17th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finally started playing Tomb Raider! I've had this game in my Steam library forever and I even had it on PS3 as part of PS+. Honestly, I've been wanting to play it since it came out, but was waiting to have a powerful gaming PC.

I didn't play for very long, barely enough time to go through the intro and find my first real save point. This is a complete reboot of the franchise. I've played a few of the previous games and enjoyed Legend, Underworld and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. In this game, Lara is on her first adventure. While searching for ruins, the team's ship was hit by harsh weather and sank. Lara escaped and wound up on a beach when she was punched in the face and knocked out by an unknown person.

Lara is stranded
She wakes up as she is being dragged on the floor. She gets hung to the ceiling and is left dangling there. I swung her around until her bonds caught fire from a nearby torch, where she feel a dozen feet, only to have her stomach impaled by some rebar... In agony, she walked away and navigated the caverns. I solved a short puzzle where I had to move items around which eventually led to an explosion. I went down the new path created by the explosion. Lara fell down a hole and slid down a little waterfall. When I got out, I was wet, tired, hungry and lost.

I explored the jungle area until I found some of my friend's gear, including a radio and some matches. I found a nice spot and made a fire. So far, the game seems to be about survival. After I slept, I went out to explore and find some food. I found a bow on a dead guy and some arrows. I then hunted for some deer. The game controls very well and runs flawlessly on my beastly PC. The aiming is pretty good too. When I went back to camp, I had enough EXP to level up one of my skills! This is a new feature for this series. I picked a thing that gave me more loot from killing animals.

I was also contacted by my friend over the radio and now have to go meet him. I'm really excited to see more of this game, it has a very promising intro.