August 21, 2014

Tomb Raider

Date played: August 20th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

Lara gets really roughed up in this game... I continued to explore and found one of my friends and a strange man named Mathias that seemed to know us. Lara fell asleep at their camp site and when she woke up, her friend and Mathias were gone. She then got caught in an animal trap and attacked by wolves! I shot them with the bow as they rushed me. Lara's other friends showed up and saved her from the trap.

The team started working on a plan to get everyone together and continue the expedition which led to me and the leader of the group going to find some ruin of some sort. Along the way, I hunted animals, looted salvage boxes and found lost documents and relics. I stumbled upon a DLC area, the Tomb of the Lost Adventurer. A large wrecked airplane is the focus of the area and Lara must find a way to reach a treasure chest that lies in a shrine above the plane. I had to use lanterns, torches and other contraptions to burn away the cloth holding the plane in place, then climb it to reach the treasure.

I continued the story after that. I can now upgrade my gear and weapons, so I boosted my bow's firing rate and ease of use. I also improved an ax so that it can now turn heavy cranks and open tougher chests. We were then ambushed by some men with heavy accents and they managed to capture us.

Lara improvises a plan
In a wild scramble, Lara managed to get a gun by shooting a man in the face with his own weapon. This was completely gruesome and disturbing and Lara was clearly shaken by the episode. She escaped by sneaking around and killing guards. The bow offers silent kills, which don't alert other enemies.

I reached another member of our party who was bit in the leg by some wolves. He passed out shortly after I reached him. He told me the wolves had taken his pack that contained food, medication and other supplies. I must now recover the pack from the wolves.

Tomb Raider is a quality game that often feels like Uncharted, without the humor. The large map and character upgrades are a welcome addition to the game as well.