August 29, 2014

Tomb Raider

Date played: August 28th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

Lara Croft is a fucking badass! I continued exploring the shanty town and found a way to the tower where my ship mate was held, but before I moved on, I gathered all collectibles and explored the local tomb. The tombs are little puzzle rooms with no combat, so it's a nice change of pace. After fighting tons of thugs, I found my friend being held hostage. Lara was about to give in to demands when the old dude decided to fight! He killed all three men, but fell to his death in the process.

Moving forward, Lara found her friend Sam. Sam was captured by Mathias, the cult leader, and was tied to an altar as they prepared to light her on fire. If she is the "chosen", the Sun Queen would save her life. Crazy shit! Anyway, Lara made a move to save her but was captured herself. Her weapons were taken away. When the cult men tried lighting the fire, a huge wind blew from outside to extinguish it. It seems like the Sun Queen is real!

They took Sam away and led Lara to some cells, but she managed to escape her captors by jumping into a river of blood, guts and limbs below... Lara managed to grab her bow, but none of her guns. She ended up in some geothermal caverns filled with explosive gas and weird psycho prisoners. Thankfully, none of them were armed, so I made my way through using the bow and melee combat.

Eventually, I made it out and found my other friends who were being held in an old plane carcass. I helped them escape and tried to find Sam again, as well as my weapons. I found her, freed her and got my guns back. In the escape, Lara and Sam got separated again, but at least she wasn't with the bad guys anymore. When I made it out, the whole city was on fire and shit was blowing up EVERYWHERE!

Lara prepares to leap into the rescue helicopter!
In an exciting sequence, Lara jumped and tumbled through the city around the fires and explosions. A rescue helicopter was on the way, so she tried to find it. After a crazy jump to reach the chopper, the damn thing crashed to the ground of course. Lara and the leader of her expedition were injured, but were ready to move on when some enemies showed up! In a manly display of bravery, the leader killed most of them but was killed in the process.

Lara met up with the rest of the crew and buried the body. Along the way, I picked up a lot of new toys. In fact, Lara is now a fully armed commando of death! I upgraded my assault rifle and stuck a grenade launcher to it. I have a new automatic shotgun that fires incendiary slugs. Finally, my pistol is equipped with a silencer.