August 21, 2014

Hohokum

Date played: August 20th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played three levels of Hohokum with my daughter after dinner. The first was a really cool pool party area. Tons of little men, women and other creatures splashed around the big water park, having fun. There were a bunch of items to interact with including a hot tub, some water slides, a change room, lounging chairs, dive boards, fountains and balloons! In the depths of the level, there was a special area that allowed me to change to an alternate version of that level where everything is deserted, muddy and cloudy. After some fucking around, I figured out I had to gather some clouds and bring them to the center of the area, which woke up a friendly elephant-like creature. I brought the creature to the pool party and went back to the muddy area where I found others like him, including my snake friend.

The next level was a spooky excursion through some treasure filled caves. I picked up a person wielding a lantern. This was the only way for me to see anything in the level as everything was pitch black. I had to make my way through the place by hitting some rocks and lighting them up. I also had to avoid colorful bats that extinguish my lantern while destroying treasure, the last of which was home to another snake friend.
I saved Constance from being a hat for the rest of her life
Finally, I explored a jungle populated by birds, llamas, monkeys, parrots and some sort of royal person riding a giant yellow quadruped. I had to free a monkey whose cage was tied to the quadruped's cage. To do that, I found a weird tree that didn't have fruit. I picked up some seeds from nearby flowers and brought them to the tree to make the fruit grow. Then I carried some monkeys to the tree. They picked up some fruit, which I used to throw at the large creature until it got really angry and broke the prisoner monkey's cage, revealing Constance, my snake friend.

The music and wonderful graphics make this a more enjoyable game than it should be, but that's a good thing.