August 8, 2014

Skylanders Swap Force

Date played: August 7th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

This is a landmark moment in my daughter's gaming life. She wanted to play Skylanders, but there wasn't enough time to play a full level. I proposed that we use the arenas to fight each other. She was a bit reluctant to grab the controller at first, but she was soon enjoying herself quite a bit. She picked Drobot because "He's the strongest!". I picked Ninja Stealth Elf for no particular reason.  We played the three different arenas that were available to me. I took lots of time to explain to her how to move her character around and how to shoot Drobot's lasers at the same time. It wasn't long before she was able to aim at me and shoot me down in seconds. She also loved getting the food items.

We then went to the main game for a bit to play in the main hub. We messed around here for a while. She liked blowing up barrels and collecting coins. She also loved playing with the sheep in the training area and told me to follow her over a rainbow bridge to find some treasure.

My daughter was proud to build this shop!
Finally, we moved the story along by going to see a shop owner who needed help to rebuild his store. He asked us to find three items in the hub. My daughter proudly went to get the first item and brought it back to the owner. She then had to press a button repeatedly to put it in the right spot. It took some effort but she succeeded and went to get the other two pieces. When the shop was built, the look on her face was absolutely priceless! She was really proud, laughing and exclaiming her success.