August 2, 2014

Pyjamas, alcohol and video games

Date played: August 1st
Platform: Wii U/PS3/PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had an amazing video game party with my family and some friends! I set up two TV's in my basement, one with a Wii U and PS4, the other with a PS3. We wore pyjamas and drank way too much alcohol, it was great.

Couch multiplayer is the best way to play video games
Mario Kart 8 was very popular with everyone, but the women seemed to like it even more than most. It ran 4 player split screen all evening. I raced a few times with Bowser and won all races except one, where one of my brothers beat me by a few seconds.

The PS3 had a brief stint with Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, but most of the night it was running Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat is actually really easy to get into and most of the moves are pretty straight forward. While no one was very good, everyone who played was able to win some matches. I went with my old favorite, Liu Kang. I quickly learned his flying kick, his fireballs and his bicycle kick which gave me a fighting chance. My sister in law rocked Scorpion and Kitana. One of my brothers was using Johnny Cage while the other was using Stryker. One of my friends was very good with Kratos and Baraka. We ended up playing in tag mode a lot, which allows 4 players at once. At one point, we have 8 people playing games simultaneously on two TV's, it was fucking awesome!

There was a bit of Resogun, Mercenary Kings, Grid 2, Dead Nation and even a few minutes of Skyrim. We ended the night with some Cards Against Humanity and tons of drunken
laughs.