October 23, 2015

Yoshi's Woolly World

Date played: October 22nd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I've been waiting for this game for a long time. The original Yoshi's Island on SNES was the first video game I bought with my own money, along with my SNES, at the tender age of 12. I had saved money for over a year to get one and I wasn't disappointed. Yoshi's Island is one of the best games on the system. Unfortunately, Yoshi never really had another great game, until now.

Yoshi's Woolly World is an adorable video game, featuring a fantastic art style. Everything in the world is made of wool and other crafting objects. Kamek turns most of the Yoshis into balls of yarn and it's up to green and red Yoshi to save their friends.

I played the first two levels with my girlfriend in co-op mode. While playing a 2D platformer with another player is never really ideal, it still worked well enough for us to have a good time. Each level has a ton of collectibles to find, including flowers, balls of yarn, gems and stamps. The cute-as-fuck levels are filled with secrets to find. The game uses the wool theme well too, where Yoshi can unravel pieces of the decor to reveal new paths and items. Players can eat each other and turn the other into an egg to throw him in spots that are hard to reach.

The best part of my evening was spent playing with my 5 year old daughter though. She still doesn't play a lot of video games, though she clearly understands them quite well. She tentatively moved Yoshi in different directions, learned to jump, hover, ground pound, eat enemies and throw eggs. She obviously has trouble with precision jumps and all, but she had a good time. Her favorite part was grabbing eggs from egg dispensers! I can't wait to play this game again...